Because you need to make this salad.
Like right now.
I don’t eat leftovers, but I would seriously scrape the bowl for days for this guy.
I’m kind of in love.
Did I mention it’s VEGAN?
This is the perfect summer salad. Easy to make, easy to enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen (which is an incredible food blog, btw)
Thai Inspired Quinoa Salad (~4 servings)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa (I used a pre-rinsed variety)
- Crunchy salad mix (I used Cruciferous Crunch from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup raw cashew halves
- 1 cup edamame (or chickpeas) (I used pre-shelled)
- Fresh lime (or lime juice)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS agave (or honey for non-vegan)
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Add 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1 TBS agave or honey to a microwavable-safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds
- Add in 3 TBS soy sauce, 1 TBS red wine, 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 tsp olive oil to peanut butter/agave mixture; mixture should be creamy. For a thinner dressing, add small amounts of either water or olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add in 3/4 cup quinoa (pre-rinsed immediately or after rinsing with cold water using a mesh strainer) and bring back to a boil
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer; heat for 15 minutes (quinoa should absorb all the water)
- Remove from heat; fluff quinoa with fork and allow to cool in large bowl for 10 minutes
- Combine 3/4 of the dressing mix to cooked and cooled quinoa
- Add in salad mix, diced bell pepper, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup cashew halves, 1 cup edamame and fresh lime or lime juice (as much as desired)
- Drizzle remaining dressing over bowl
Serve in small bowls and enjoy!
What are your plans for the long weekend?